The Neighbourhood Centre has been helping residents in the Taylor-Massey community for 40 years. During that time we delivered our services to the community in a trailer, then a portable and finally after a community centre extension was built, inside of Secord Public School. Our humble beginning was that of a small agency providing information and referral services to the community.
Today we continue to provide information and referral to community members seeking help finding services and provide a variety of services to improve the lives of local residents, many of whom support themselves and their families on low income. Our services build capacity, leadership and opportunity for children, families and seniors.
Our Motto of “Building Skills that Build Communities” leads the staff and volunteers of the Neighbourhood Centre every day in the way that we interact as an integral part of the communities in which we work and serve. Our staff and numerous volunteers help us to achieve great outcomes for our community.
Our main location is in the Secord Community Centre, attached to the Secord Elementary School in the Taylor Massey Community, near Main Street and Danforth Ave. Our primary focus is serving low-income and newcomer families and seniors in East Toronto.
The Neighbourhood Centre collaborates with community members and organizations located in East Toronto* to support people to realize their potential, direct their own lives, and improve economic and social conditions in the community. The Neighbourhood Centre carries out its mandate by:
- Creating connections between individuals and organizations;
- Facilitating access to information, skill building and leadership development, and,
- Working collaboratively to improve health and well-being and to address the broader issues of social and economic justice.
* Woodbine to Pharmacy, includes Crescent Town/Taylor-Massey, Woodbine-Lumsden & Oakridge/Teesdale
We envision a thriving, economically vibrant and resilient community where people are connected to each other and have access to resources needed for health, wellness , meaningful community participation, and stable, fulfilling employment.
- We value and promote respect for diversity and inclusion and we are committed to reflecting the diversity of our community in our volunteers, partners, board and staff
- We listen and learn from one another and we strive to treat and support all people as unique individuals with the capacity to determine their own needs and successfully direct their own lives
Resilience and Empowerment
- We promote individual and community resilience and advocate with community members for access to the resources that people need to participate fully in society
Excellence and Resourcefulness
- We are committed to developing and delivering creative and high quality programs and efficiently using resources for the betterment of our community
- We are committed to open and effective communication, working in cooperation with others to respond to community needs, sharing resources , knowledge and skills, and contributing to positive and lasting social change