What's New At The Neighbourhood Centre
FREE Life & Career Skills Workshop Series
Holiday Hampers Donations
Mr. Matthew Kellway (Beaches—East York, NDP)
Our Motto of “Building Skills that Build Communities” leads the staff and volunteers of the Neighbourhood Centre every day in the way that we interact as an integral part of the communities in which we work and serve. Our staff and numerous volunteers help us to achieve great outcomes for our community.
Our main location is in the Secord Community Centre, attached to the Secord Elementary School in the Taylor Massey Community, near Main Street and Danforth Ave. Our primary focus is serving low-income and newcomer families and seniors in East Toronto.
The Neighbourhood Centre collaborates with community members and organizations located in East Toronto* to support people to realize their potential, direct their own lives, and improve economic and social conditions in the community. The Neighbourhood Centre carries out its mandate by:
- Creating connections between individuals and organizations;
- Facilitating access to information, skill building and leadership development, and,
- Working collaboratively to improve health and well-being and to address the broader issues of social and economic justice.
* (Woodbine to Pharmacy, includes Crescent Town/Taylor-Massey, Woodbine-Lumsden & Oakridge/Teesdale)
We envision a thriving, economically vibrant and resilient community where people are connected to each other and have access to resources needed for health, wellness , meaningful community participation, and stable, fulfilling employment.
- We value and promote respect for diversity and inclusion and we are committed to reflecting the diversity of our community in our volunteers, partners, board and staff
- We listen and learn from one another and we strive to treat and support all people as unique individuals with the capacity to determine their own needs and successfully direct their own lives
Resilience and Empowerment
- We promote individual and community resilience and advocate with community members for access to the resources that people need to participate fully in society
Excellence and Resourcefulness
- We are committed to developing and delivering creative and high quality programs and efficiently using resources for the betterment of our community
- We are committed to open and effective communication, working in cooperation with others to respond to community needs, sharing resources , knowledge and skills, and contributing to positive and lasting social change
Our local MP, Matthew Kellway, has been a strong supporter of the community we serve and our agency this year and even acknowledged our work on Parliament Hill. Here’s a short YouTube clip for your viewing pleasure: bit.ly/1zGbkBv
“December 8, 2014
Mr. Matthew Kellway (Beaches—East York, NDP):
Mr. Speaker, in Beaches—East York, legions of volunteers are gearing up to pack and deliver holiday hampers to thousands of neighbours, thanks to The Neighbourhood Centre north of the Danforth and Community Centre 55 to the south.
We all have gifts to give, and I thank all of my constituents for giving of themselves so ge...nerously at this time of year.
However, we in this place have the opportunity give much more than anyone else. We can create a more generous and compassionate Canada.
Instead, successive governments have left, everywhere, gaps and traps for Canadians to fall into, fully aware that many will fall into them, fully aware that many will not be able to get out of them.
We do this to ourselves, we do it to each other--from child care, to seniors' health care, to veterans' care, to supporting women and children caught up in abusive and violent relationships.
We will never replace the need for family, good neighbours, and supportive community.
However, we in this place ought not to be standing by while so many Canadians struggle and are in need of our help.”